The IEEE Sarawak Subsection would like to congratulate Ir. Ts. Dr. Then Yi Lung and his team in securing the IEEE Humanitarian Activities Committee (HAC)/ Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Technology (SIGHT) grant for the project proposal titled “IoT In The Community – Evolving Home Farming With The Internet“.
The purpose of this project is to raise public awareness and academic interest in the Internet of Things (IoT) by providing a combination of live demonstration and online workshop on how to easily build and use a simple monitoring system for home-scale vertical farming.
The target audience of these sessions are for secondary-level students and teachers, exposing them to practical hands-on application of affordable hardware and software, via online observation and discussion.
This project was motivated and inspired with the aim to achieve the United Nations Sustainability Development Goals (UN-SDG):
- Goal 2: Zero Hunger
- Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
This is the second round Dr. Then secure and being awarded the IEEE HAC SIGHT grant.
Dr. Then was awarded IEEE SIGHT grant in 2019 and completed the project “Free Energy from Calories to Electricity” with success in 2020. The previous project won Vice Chancellor Award in 2019 for its community engagement. The project has benefited the school children and villagers at Kg Salak, Sarawak. He is also currently the chair for IEEE Sarawak SIGHT and have presented strong leadership and management in both academic and research environment setting. Dr. Then can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The team members for this project consist of:
- Ir. Ts. Dr. Then Yi Lung – Lecturer, Swinburne University of Technology, Sarawak Campus
- Dr. Mark Tee Kit Tsun – Lecturer, Swinburne University of Technology, Sarawak Campus
- Ir. Dr. Chong Kok Hing – Senior Lecturer, Swinburne University of Technology, Sarawak Campus
- Ong Chin Ann – Program Leader & Lecturer, PSB Academy, Singapore
- Dr. Tay Fei Siang – Lecturer, Swinburne University of Technology, Sarawak Campus