The Internet of Things (IoT) is an umbrella of technologies where Smart Devices communicate with each other through the Internet for mass data collection, enabling advanced cloud computing such as AI, Big Data, Analytics, and Automation. At the heart of IoT, is a tiny computer that transforms everyday objects into Smart Devices.
The IEEE Sarawak in collaboration with the Swinburne University of Technology, Sarawak Campus, Swinburne CompSci Club, Swinburne Robotics Automation Club, and the IEEE Swinburne Sarawak Student Branch will be hosting a FREE workshop series to equip participants with the knowledge and confidence in using Linux as an Operating System for simple IoT projects at home.
The Workshop consists of an online session, and an (optional) part 2. Here’s what you’ll explore!
Part 1 : Online Workshop
Date: 20th August 2022 (Saturday)
Time: 9:00AM – 12:30PM
Venue: Online (Via Zoom)
- Introduction to Linux. What is it?
- Build your own Virtual Machine!
- Exploring the Raspberry Pi OS
By the end of Session 1, you will be fully equipped to create and use RPi OS “machines” on your computer and build your Linux experience before using the real Raspberry Pi mini-computer. To get to the next level, you are encouraged to join Part 2 where you will learn how to use the Raspberry Pi
hardware in our Lab.
NOTE: You will receive a certificate for completing Part 1: Intro to Raspberry Pi Virtual Machine
If you attend Part 2, you will receive another certificate for completing the whole programme – Part 2 : Mini-Computing for IoT at Home
Optional Part 2: Hybrid Workshop
Date: 27th August 2022 (Saturday)
Time: 9:00AM – 12:30PM
Venue: Hybrid at A303 (IoT Lab), Swinburne University Sarawak Campus (Map)
- Hands-on Introduction to a real Raspberry Pi mini-computer
- How to combine Raspberry Pi and an Arduino
- Building your first IoT project
- For Part 1 (Online) – Your own laptop and good Internet Connection
- For Part 2 (Physical) – Your own laptop (preferably running Windows but MacOS is okay)
- Basic Knowledge on Arduino is Recommended but not Compulsory
- This workshop is open to all Secondary School Students (Form 1 – 6 or equivalent) and Educators too.
Participation is Free (no fees), and is open to Secondary School Students (All Forms) and Educators.
Register using this link before 13 August 2022:
For more info or enquiry, please contact Dr. Mark Tee Kit Tsun at:
Email: email@example.com or WhatsApp: 016-8413222.
Workshop Poster and Detailed Information: Download